Introduction to Terpenes
If you are a cannabis consumer, terpenes are your favorite thing that you may have no idea about. When we think of weed the first thing to come to mind is the smell of it. Skunky, fruity, and funky aromas are all too common when you pop open a jar of your favorite flower. If you love all of the different aromas and tastes in all the amazing weed strains out there then you have terpenes to thank. Terpenes are the aromatic compounds which create the scents of many plants in nature, specifically cannabis of course.
Similar to essential oils, there are a huge list of terpenes all with different scents and flavors which they elicit, and they all have differing effects and feelings associated with them. Such as a more or less energetic high depending on the terpene, for example.
Believe it or not the reason that your favorite strain is your favorite strain, may be due to the specific blend of terpenes in it! Most of the time strains have roughly 3 main terpenes which contribute to the aroma, flavor, and effects.
This terpene is not alone in it’s funny name; Linalool is one of our favorites because it is just so enjoyable and chill.
With a huge range of benefits, and a flavor profile that is consistently a favorite, it is really hard to go wrong with Linalool. The best part is this can either lean to a more indica or sativa high depending on the terpenes it is paired with- but it always carries a super relaxing vibe.
- Soothing & Calming
- Meditative & Mindful
- So relaxing it can be sedating for some
- Can reduce stress and help calm anxiety
- A more restful nights sleep
- Mood elevator
- Anti-carcinogen, keep those lungs strong!
- Used in traditional medicine as an anti-epileptic
- A 2016 study showed promise as a combatant to Alzheimer’s
- Soft floral notes (similar to lavender)
- Hints of citrus and light fruit tones
- Touch of spice
- Famously the main compound in Lavender
- Common in laurel, mint, and cinnamon too
- Usually found in Birch and Rosewood
The Strains & Products:
- Skywalker OG: This is a hybrid which is Indica dominant, showcasing the way linalool can really help ease you into your end of day mental state. Perfect for after work or before bed even.
- Amnesia Haze: A fun and floaty strain for the daytime smokers that will lift your spirits but keep you even keeled. Linalool does a great job here helping to elevate your mood and make for a more calm sativa experience that can be tough to find.
- Purple Urkle: A truly legendary strain, this has given rise to so many of the grape and fruity heavy strains you know and love. Linalool is a common terpene in these types of strains as it rounds out the profile with quite a nice herbal note and relaxing energy.
- Linalool is also found in Blue Dream, Phone Home, and most of the Howl’s Tinctures: Anytime & Anytime 2x, Nighttime & Nighttime 2x, and CBD & High CBD.
Tips & Tricks:
- Linalool is an easy terpene to love and hard to go wrong with. A nice calming vibe doesn’t tend to throw many people off.
- We do particularly love and recommend it for those with trouble sleeping well or getting your mind to settle down at the end of the day.