Still counting sheep? Sleep is a vital and unfortunately often neglected part of person’s overall health and well-being. Getting adequate rest enables the body to repair itself and be fit and ready for another day, and when that does not happen, well you know cause you’re reading this article trying to find that something that may help you. Cannabis offers hope for some, and here we’re going to talk about some components of cannabis that can help you wind down for the night and rest your weary head.First we’ll talk about some terpenes, which are active compounds that give plants, herbs, spices, and flowers their unique and captivating aromas. Each terpene has a unique chemical structure and therefore some terpenes are going to be better for sleep versus others. Terpenes are still being studied for their various beneficial properties, and while their exact physiological effects vary, most are sedatives or stimulants. Here’s a list of just a few of the terpenes known to help you relax and catch some Zzzz
- Caryophyllene: Has a pungent, spicy, pepper-like aroma and is common in cannabis cultivars as well as black pepper, cloves, and cinnamon. Thought to soothe inflammation, physical pain, and anxiety
- Linalool: Responsible for helping ease anxiety, stress, and boosting moods. Has a floral aroma and is prevalent in lavender, sweet basil, clary sage and mint
- Nerolidol: Thought to possess sedative and anti-inflammatory properties. Has a woody, earthy, bark-like aroma and is common in lemongrass, tea tree, ginger, and jasmine
- Myrcene: The most abundant terp in cannabis, some suggest it’s good for sore muscles and general sedation. Has a fruity, herb-like fragrance and is present in mangoes, thyme, cardamom, and hops
- Pinene: This guy comes in two different forms, for relaxation and tranquility it’s the alpha-pinene you’re gonna want to look for. Supposedly has properties that offer strong relief for both physical and mental strain. Offers a fresh, woodsy aroma reminiscent of a pine forest and is common in rosemary, parsley, and orange peels
- Terpinolene: Said to help you feel drowsy and has a fresh, pleasant fragrance similar to a combination of lilac, pine, and citrus. Besides cannabis it’s also in lilacs, nutmeg, apples, and cumin
Next up we’re going to talk about that mysterious cannabinoid you may have not heard of called CBN, or cannabinol. When THC, which is the main active ingredient in cannabis, is heated and exposed to Co2, it converts to CBN. Products containing this cannabinoid are popular because of the reported improved sleep quality, pain relief, and anti-inflammation qualities. While CBD is great and somewhat similar to CBN, CBN is far more powerful when it comes to sleep.
Keep in mind that everyone is different and has different reactions to different things. It’s important to listen to your own body and follow what its telling you. Everyone’s personal cannabis journey is different in one way or another and that is okay. Some people toke before bed while others prefer something sweeter for their taste buds.
Below are links to helpful strains in different forms that are currently on the menu worth checking out!
- Brownie Scout is a popular and classic indica strain known for its super heavy body high and earthy, chocolate aroma. This guy is almost always on our menu in one form or another.
- LA Kush Cake is an indica strain great for relaxing and winding down at the end of the night without much else to do.
- Lava Cake is an indica strain that packs a super relaxing high that’s perfect for inspiring thoughtful reflection before bed at the end of a long and stressful day.
- Chocolate OG is an indica-dominant strain that offers relaxing qualities that get heavier with continued consumption.
Looking for something sweeter before bed? Look no further, here is a list of several tasty bedtime treats that can help ease you in to bed.
- Bedtime Betty’s chews is a lemon agave flavored vegan and gluten-free option that also contains 2mg of melatonin to help you really relax.
- 1906’s Midnight is an all-natural sleep aid capsule that is non-habit forming, without the drowsy hangover effects of other sleep aids. It contains a blend of cannabis indica and Cordyalis, a traditional Chinese herb that improves ability to fall asleep and relieves body pain and tension. While this may not be the tastiest on the list it is certainly one of our most popular item geared toward sleep.
- Incredible’s Snoozzzeberry chocolate bar may be the yummiest on this list, made with dark chocolate, blueberries and rice crispies. Each serving also contains 2mg of our friend CBN to help you count less sheep.
- Wana offers a lot of delicious options, but we’re going to show off the pina colada as well as blueberry. Both are infused with a relaxing terpene-enhanced indica blend to help you drift off to dreamland.
- Solar’s Lemon Agave gummies also contain 2mg of melatonin per serving these gummies will help promote a restful, good night’s sleep.
- Byky’s Maple Almond Butter Bon Bons contains a rich and creamy blend of Vermont maple sugar roasted almond butter and pure vanilla, dipped in a layer of decadent dark chocolate and infused with a magical combination of ashwagandha, reishi, a hint of melatonin and CO2 extracted cannabis.
So you don’t want a snack and you’re not really a midnight toker. You still need your sleep, so here are some tinctures that can help you.
- Howl’s Nighttime tincture is our most trusted tincture, its made using whole plant infusion – they simply place the cannabis flower directly into the organic avocado oil over gentle heat and stir. The result is that the broadest spectrum of beneficial properties of the plant are transferred directly into the tincture. Even better, they also offer a double strength version for those who have a higher THC tolerance!
- Dream Drops by Treeworks harnesses the soothing capacity of chamomile and valerian root, used primarily by those looking to regulate their sleep schedule better. This calming indica formula will have you drifting off in no time.
Wherever your cannabis journey takes you, you can be sure Rebelle is here to help you get there.